Saturday 14 July 2007

Mind the Gap


They say that England and the U.S. are two countries separated by a common language. You realise (ha!) this the first time you try to find the exit or the dish soap.





We all knew this, of course, but it's sometimes truly funny to be immersed in it. I'm not sure why exactly it is that I am so cracked up by the "way out" as opposed to the exit. Or why "washing up liquid" is amusing (especially since I don't much care to wash dishes). It is, regardless of the logic behind it, a constant source of amusement.

It's not just that, either. I'm of the firm belief that the washing machine does not belong in the kitchen. Nor do I understand why people who live in one of the dampest places I've ever been seem to be unconcerned with owning a dryer. Unfortunately for me, the washer continues to maintain its existence in the kitchen no matter how silly I think it is. It's probably not going anywhere either, so I guess I'll just have to live with it.


Everything here makes me think of a Monty Python sketch. Really, everything. No kidding. I never really understood how perfectly they satirized this culture. Things are even funnier in light of being here and experiencing it, even thirty-odd years later.

--Lynnsey

No comments: