Friday 21 September 2007

7th Grade Pizza

Today was the conclusion of the famous 7th Grade Pizza. Hearts were broken. Chicken was barbecued. Yeast was baked at high temperatures.

What?

My first class of the day is what they call "7th Grade Rotation." I have approximately 30 days to teach a dozen and a half 12-year-olds everything they need to know about everything and then they go to art or shop or whatever and I get a new batch (they're like Gremlins, don't get them wet!).

In the course of this class I have learned who the three most popular 7th grade teachers are, because they get the most pizza. It's become a highly coveted prize. Last year's Walmart Teacher of the Year was the only person (besides me, of course...they loooove me) to receive a piece.

This year's first rotation made their dough yesterday and cooked their pizza today. It was good. It helped make my week a lot better all of a sudden. It's been at least a year since Ryan left (and by year, I mean 5 days) and I've had a crap week (whoops...year). They did a good job. It helped...a little...it's a start.

This class is a source of constant amusement. Things I have already learned from 7th graders...

* "I wouldn't buy her a gift until we were married."

* "You can't date your friend's sister." But the girl their friend is "in love" with is okay.

* "The boy should pay (when you're out to dinner)."

* You can burn Velveeta cheese in a microwave if you try hard enough.

* Their favorite subject is lunch.

* Most of them would rather be wise than rich...because they figure they could make money that way.

* They're really bad at Charades.

* They think Hoss's is a fancy restaurant.

* They're excited to cook eggs...and bacon...and French toast. Really excited.

* They help start my day...them and two cups of caffeine.

No comments: