Friday 15 February 2008

1201

If you get the chance (and have a day that is deserving of dropping a ridiculous amount of money on dinner) go to Twelve O' One some time. We went last night after the hilarity at Jr.'s. We had a great meal and a great time.

Some times when we go out, I feel like I could have made a better meal for way less than we spent. Today, I feel challenged. I had the most amazing avocado bisque with butter poached lobster. It was a risk for me. I don't really like avocado all that much...or lobster, but it sounded good. Ryan was my out on this gamble. He told me he'd trade me his arugula salad if I didn't like it. That's a landmine he didn't have to step on. It was amazing. I'm now on a mission to create something that even approaches it. I'll see what I can do.

We both had fantastic entrees. Kobe-style beef tenderloin for him and ribeye for me. Mine came with a shitake and spinach gratin that is competing for the best use of spinach ever.

We had a Godiva chocolate fondue with bruleed bananas, strawberries, and angel food cake. Ryan ate the chocolate with a spoon (health freak, my foot!).

Not to mention the wine (it is a wine bar, after all). I had a great Riesling, my favorite...the sweet, German kind.

Tonight we're having barbecue chicken pizza.

Many of you might think that would be a big step down, but it is one of our all-time favorites. We both move effortlessly from wine and Kobe beef to beer and pizza. That's just one of the reasons we're a great match!

No comments: